13 June, 2017, Secretariat under the Economy and Finance Committee of the Parliament of Tajikistan jointly with the Economy and Finance Committee of Majlisi Namoyandagon of the Majlisi Oli of the Republic of
Tajikistan (Parliament of Tajikistan), within the framework of “Support to Parliamentary Oversight of PFM and Budget Transparency in Tajikistan” programme organised a conference on the following topic: "Improving the
role of Parliament in the budget process”.During the conference, the participants discussed the following issues and tasks:
- Current situation regarding the role of Parliament in the budget process taking into account international practice; recommendations outlined in the background paper “Legislative analysis to support strengthened parliamentary financial oversight in the Republic of Tajikistan”;
- Experience of PFM reforms implementation, discussion and development recommendations on the effective introduction of reforms.
- Providing information on development partners’ activities in the PFM area, discussion of further steps on involvement of donor community in implementation of PFM reforms in the Republic of Tajikistan.
The first part of the conference was devoted to the role of the government and development partners in promoting PFM reforms and improving the budget process, in which representatives of government bodies,
such as the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Tajikistan, the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of the Republic of Tajikistan, the Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment of population of the Republic of
Tajikistan, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan, the Chamber of Accounts of the Republic of Tajikistan and the Agency of Social insurance and Pensions under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, made their presentations about the features of the budgeting process in their respective sectors.
Representatives of the donors’ community provided information on their activities in the field of PFM and international practice, and also presented their recommendations on improving the efficiency of the budgeting
process, based on research conducted in Tajikistan and projects, implemented by them.
Chair of the Economy and Finance Committee of the Majlisi Namoyandagon of the Majlisi Oli of the Republic of Tajikistan, Sharif Rahimzoda, provided a presentation on the legal basis for parliamentary oversight of the
budgeting process and informed about innovations in the budget performance, the expansion of the range of parliamentary oversight tools of the budget process, which include:
- Conducting regular Committee hearings;
- Plenary sessions of the Majlisi Namoyandagon of the Majlisi Oli of the Republic of Tajikistan;
- Conducting public hearings in the districts and regions of the Republic of Tajikistan;
-PM requests on the issues of performance of the state budget and other topics.
Kuchakshozoda Akram made a presentation and informed the participants about the «Role Chamber of Аccounts in the budget process» . He paid a particular attention to the issues of formation of budgetary priorities and the role of Chamber of Аccounts .
In conclusion, the expert of “Support to Parliamentary Oversight of PFM and Budget Transparency in Tajikistan” programme presented the results of the conference, recommendations were presented on the phased implementation of measures to improve the efficiency of parliamentary oversight over the budgeting process, based on the principles of best international practice.
This event was organized with the support of the Secretariat near the Economy and Finance Committee of the MN MO of the RT within the framework of the program "Support to Parliamentary Oversight in PFM and Budget Transparency", implemented by Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) with funding from the UK Department for International Development (DFID).